Low sugar cocktails for the sunshine
Having a drink and relaxing with friends and family in the garden is one of my favourite things to do. Often, alcohol has a really high amount of sugar in it. Here is a small collection of recipes for low sugar summer cocktails. They are delicious and ones you will really enjoy without the same high sugar content. (Remember to always drink sensibly!)
WATERMELON BASIL SPRITZER
4-5 oz. chilled Sauvignon Blanc
2-3 oz. chilled club soda or tonic if you want a little more sweetness
3-4 frozen melon cubes
1 big sprig of fresh basil
Simply combine ingredients over ice
1 cup watermelon, seeded roughly chopped
½ lime, juiced
4 mint leaves
1 fl. oz. Bacardi Rum (use white rum)
1. In a blender, process watermelon until liquefied. Pour into a glass.
2. In a small bowl, muddle together the lime juice and mint leaves. Pour over the top of the watermelon. Fill the glass with ice and top with rum and club soda.
3. Garnish with mint leaves and watermelon wedge if desired.
4. Note: If the water melon is not to sweet, add ½ tsp. of fine sugar.
2 oz The Botanist Gin
0.5 oz Fresh Lime Juice
2 oz Coconut Water
2 oz Soda Water
Add The Botanist Gin, fresh lime juice and coconut water to a shaker. Add ice and shake. Strain over ice and top with Soda Water.
TURMERIC AND GINGER SMASH
1.5 oz. NOLET’S Silver Gin or other gin
0.5 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
0.25 oz. Honey
1 inch of fresh Turmeric
1/2 inch of fresh Ginger
Muddle turmeric and ginger in cocktail shaker then add all liquid ingredients with ice and shake vigorously until well chilled. Pour into a coupe glass and serve with a skewer of candied ginger and/or an edible flower.
‘SKINNY’ SUMMER COCKTAIL
2 ounces Vodka
1 Liter Pellegrino
1 TBSP Stevia ( I used Truvia)
1. Mix together the vodka, Pellegrino, and stevia in a pitcher.
2. Add the fruit and mix well.
3. Pour over ice and enjoy!
4. You can also use a white wine in place of the Vodka for a different flavor!
5. This makes a small pitcher full of drinks, or enough for about four servings. You could easily double it if you wanted to make it for a party or for more people.
LEMON AND BERRY COCKTAIL
Litre Pellegrino Sparkling Mineral Water
2 squeezes of liquid Stevia
Organic strawberries cut into wedges
1–2 ounces of your favorite vodka
Optional: 1 Mint leaf
Optional: 1 peach (sliced)
1. Add the mineral water and vodka into a glass. Squeeze lemons and stevia into the glass. Take a quick taste to make sure the balance is just right. Next add blueberries and strawberries. For optional flavoring, cut peaches into small wedges and include with the blueberries and strawberries. For additional flavoring, add a single mint leaf. Serve over ice.